A Sneak Peek Into Our Snack Pantry
Grabbing a healthy snack can sometimes be tricky. It often feels easier to reach for a bag of potato chips than some carrots or a piece of fruit.
Snacking, when done right, is a great way to keep your energy levels up and your mind alert throughout the day. The key is to snack on the right foods. And there’s no reason they can’t be good, and good for you!
We like to take baby steps such as substituting whole-grain pretzels for regular pretzels; or using guacamole as a dip instead of a cheese sauce; or having some popcorn instead of fried potato chips.
If you’re not sure where to start, we’ll supply you with a few items to get your family’s pantry on-track for snacking. Check it out and join us in taking this simple step towards more nutritious snacking!
- Baked pita chips
- Whole-grain pretzels
- Whole-grain tortilla chips
- Unsweetened dried fruit (apples, pears, apricots, pineapple and more)
- Whole almonds (We like to mix lightly salted and unsalted!)
- Popcorn (Try it topped with Parm and dried Italian seasoning!)
- Peanut butter
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Baba ghanoush (a tasty, roasted eggplant dip!)
- White beans pureed with garlic and herbs
- Apple slices with peanut butter
- Baby carrots (or carrot sticks) with Bunny Spread
- Yogurt with granola or fresh fruit
- Cheese sticks (think Cheddar, Muenster, and pepper jack, not just mozzarella)
- Veggie sticks, such as carrot, bell pepper, zucchini, snap peas
- Whole grain tortillas
Get creative and have fun with it- whole grain pitas are great with hummus and baba ghanoush – along with carrots and olives! Or, you might love peanut butter with apple slices, or pretzels with white bean dip. Ever try a quesadilla with a whole-grain tortilla?! You’ll never know the difference.
No matter how you slice or dice it, it’s simple to eat well when you set your kitchen up for success!
Show us what you’re snacking on with the family by tagging your photos with #yumomoment, for a chance to get featured on yum-o.org!