Cook a make-your-own take-out Asian beef and veggie meal with fresh ingredients of your choice. Serve with white or brown steamed rice.
- High-temperature frying oil
- 1 pound beef sirloin, no more than 1/2-inch thick, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 seedless orange
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 red Fresno chili peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 bundle broccolini, cut into florets and blanched
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, such as Tamari (dark soy sauce), sweetened with 2 tablespoons superfine sugar or about 5-6 tablespoons Kejap Manis (thick, sweetened soy sauce found in some larger markets and Asian markets)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Roasted peanuts, chopped
- Heat a couple of inches of frying oil in a medium size pot or deep skillet. Toss the beef with the cornstarch and fry in the hot oil until crispy. Drain and pour off all but a couple of tablespoons oil from the pan.
- Cut a few strips of rind off the orange and thinly slice.
- Over high heat in the same pan, stir fry the orange rind, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, onions and broccoli florets until tender crisp, 3 minutes. Add the sugar and soy, or Kejap Manis, the juice of the orange and the lime juice, along with the reserved beef. Toss to combine, 1-2 minutes more. Serve over brown or white rice with peanuts on top.