- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 small Gala apple, finely diced
- A few grates of fresh nutmeg
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely diced
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Canola cooking spray
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Run a rolling pin over the slices of bread to make them thinner.
- Season the apples with nutmeg and salt, then dress with the lemon juice. Combine with the cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the Dijon mustard and the maple syrup. Spread the mixture on each slice of bread.
- Place some of the apple-cheese mixture over each slice of bread on top of the mustard-syrup. Fold the corners of the bread together to create a triangle. Squeeze the sides together to ensure that they are well-sealed.
- Arrange the turnovers on a rack set on top of a baking sheet and spray lightly with canola oil. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.