Breakfast for Dinner: Maple Plums, Ham Steak and Whole Grain Waffle Stacks
Visions of sugarplums become a reality in this hearty BLD meal you can enjoy anytime of the day!
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus additional for brushing waffle iron
- 8 plums, pits removed and thinly sliced
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger root, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- About 1 1/2 cups dark amber maple syrup
- A drizzle of vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large ham steak (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds)
- Whole grain pancake and waffle mix
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- A few grates of nutmeg
- Melted butter, for brushing
- Pre-heat a waffle iron.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the plums and ginger; season with allspice and sauté to tender, 5 minutes. Add the maple syrup and reduce the heat to low.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ham steak and cook to brown on both sides, 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally. Quarter the steak into four portions.
- Combine the waffle mix according to the package directions for four individual portions. Stir in the nuts and nutmeg. Brush the waffle iron with melted butter and cook the waffles to deep golden brown.
- Top the waffles with the ham steak and lots of maple plums and serve.