Cran-Apple-Onion Open-Face Turkey Sammies
This is the perfect sammie for leftover turkey and cranberry sauce!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 Gala apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons cranberry sauce, any style
- 8 slices easy-melting cheese, such as Havarti, Swiss or cheddar
- 12-16 slices leftover turkey or deli turkey
- 2 crusty rolls, split and toasted
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apple and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock and season with salt and pepper. Once thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, mix in the cranberry sauce. Dip the turkey slices into the gravy.
- To assemble each sammie, stack 3-4 slices of turkey, some apple and onion mixture and extra gravy and top with two slices of cheese. Place under the broiler to melt and warm through.