Farro with Asparagus
Get to know farro! Asparagus sliced and sautéed with garlic and shallots and mixed with farro is a nutritious and delicious side. Finish with lemon juice and parsley.
- 3/4 cup pearled farro
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bundle asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons tarragon or parsley, chopped
- Rinse the farro and bring 6-7 cups of water to a boil. Salt the water, then add the farro and cook to tender, 20-25 minutes; drain.
- Thinly slice the asparagus. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, two turns of the pan, and lightly brown the asparagus for 3-5 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and toss for 2-3 minutes more. Add the farro to the pan and combine; remove from the heat and dress with the lemon juice, herbs and more olive oil to coat, about 2 tablespoons. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.