Grilled Rosemary Chicken Melts
Seasoned chicken breasts and a baby kale or baby arugula salad topping combine for a perfect grilled panini.
- 1 large clove garlic, pasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, stripped from stems
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 2 small lemons, halved
- 4 fat handfuls baby kale or arugula
- 1 small bulb fennel, very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 5-inch squares focaccia or ciabatta bread, halved horizontally
- 3/4 pound sliced provolone cheese, packaged or deli-cut on the thick side
- Pre-heat the outdoor grill or griddle pan and a sandwich or panini press.
- Combine the garlic, rosemary, oil, salt, pepper, red pepper and fennel seed. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Grill the halved lemons until slightly charred. Grill the chicken until cooked through, 7-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Dress the chicken with the juice of one lemon.
- Dress the greens, fennel, and onion with juice of other grilled lemon and a touch of salt and pepper.
- Build sandwiches of foccacia, cheese, greens, chicken, greens, cheese and foccacia. Press or grill the sandwiches with the lid down to mark bread and melt the cheese. Cut corner to corner and serve.