Maple-Orange Sweet Potatoes
This recipe offers a bit of Rachael’s hometown flavor; the maple will take your sweet potatoes the extra mile for Thanksgiving and all autumn long!
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- Juice of 1 orange, plus a few strips of rind
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Several sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Juice of 1 orange
- Optional garnishes: chopped candied pecans, chopped smoky bacon, chives
- Place the potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes to tender. Drain and return to the hot pot.
- Meanwhile, place the stock, syrup, bay, cinnamon, cloves, orange juice and rind, butter, thyme and peppercorns in a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Strain the stock and syrup into the sweet potatoes and mash. Adjust the seasoning and serve with toppings candied nuts, bacon and/or chives, if desired.