- 8-10 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5-6 ounces garlic-and-herb soft cow’s milk cheese, such as Boursin brand, fresh ricotta or goat cheese with herbs
- 1-1 1/2 cups warm milk and/or stock
- 1/4 cup minced parsley, chives and thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cloves grated or pasted garlic (optional)
- Pepper, to taste
- Cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes to tender. Drain and return to the hot pot to dry them out a bit.
- Mash the potatoes with your soft cheese of choice, warm milk and/or stock, herbs, lemon zest and garlic; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To hold the mashed potatoes, cover and place the pan in 1 inch of simmering water in a larger pan, making a bain marie (hot water bath) to keep the potatoes warm without changing their consistency.