Orange You Glad It’s Sweet Potato Mash
To celebrate Thanksgiving and help bring more nutritious options to the table, Rachael wrote this mashed sweet potato recipe for the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition (Rach was named a Council member in 2014!) that your friends and family will love!
- 2 1/2-3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4-1/2 cup all-fruit orange preserves/marmalade
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Puree of roast butternut squash and/or carrot (optional)
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; salt the water.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and pierce easily with a fork.
- Strain, then add the potatoes back to the pot.
- Place the pot over low heat for about a minute to let any excess steam evaporate.
- Start to mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a wooden spoon, then and add the chicken stock, preserves, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- If using optional puree, add in while mashing all the ingredients together.