Topsy-Turvy Egg Bake
Kids of all ages can help make these fun “upside-down” eggs and toast with mild-flavored broccolini inside! Using whole wheat English muffins adds healthy whole grains.
- 2 English muffins or whole wheat English muffins
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 large shallot
- 5 ounces Swiss cheese
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- Get the ingredients ready. Tear up the English muffins into crumb-size bits. Trim the broccolini and cut into 1/2-inch pieces; chop the shallot. Shred the Swiss cheese. In a large liquid measuring cup or bowl with pouring spout, beat together the eggs and half-and-half. Clean up your workspace.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the English muffin crumbs and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Wipe out the skillet and reserve. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In the reserved skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the shallot, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the broccolini and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water, increase the heat to medium-high and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is evaporated and the broccolini is crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes; transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup swiss cheese. Pour the egg mixture on top of the broccolini mixture.
- In a small bowl, toss together the toasted crumbs and the remaining Swiss cheese. Sprinkle onto the casserole, then top with the parmesan. Bake in the center of the oven until the eggs are set and the top is browned, about 30 minutes.
- Time to clean up and set the table!
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.