- 2 cups yellow, blue or whole grain tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- Boiling water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup tomato or tomatillo salsa or two seeded plum tomatoes, chopped
- Place the crushed corn chips in a bowl and just barely cover with boiling water. Let them sit until the chips are soft, a couple of minutes. Thoroughly drain the chips from the water.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the oil. Combine the beaten eggs with some black pepper. Add the softened corn chips and stir to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet along with the cheddar cheese, then stir to combine and let it start to brown up on one side. Break up the egg mixture into four sections and flip each section to brown the second side, just a couple of minutes.
- Remove the four sections to serving plates and top with salsa or lots of chopped tomatoes.